Mailing/Location Address:

NC State Board of Examiners of Electrical Contractors
3101 Industrial Drive, Suite 206
Raleigh, NC  27609

(919) 733-9042

(800) 691-8399

Our Mission...

To protect the life, health and property of the public through examination of applicants, education of licensees and discipline of individuals to promote quality electrical contracting in accordance with NC General Statutes Chapter 87-Article 4.

Military Personnel/Spouses – Applications

Consistent with GS 93B-15.1, the Board accepts the experience of our military veterans as evidence in obtaining license from the Board.  The Board considers the nature of the military program of training, completed testing or equivalent training and experience and performance in the electrical field.  The Board rule is set out in 21 NCAC 18B.0202 of the North Carolina Administrative Code, available from the Board or online.  Depending on the nature of the experience as the equivalent of a journeyman, foreman, superintendent, such experience may be counted 100%.  Experience as an apprentice or an electrician helper but not in a full time electrical maintenance department may be counted 80%. Other examples are detailed in the cited rule.

The Board will review an applicant’s Military DD Form 214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, as well as statements from direct supervisors regarding the type and hours of experience. Because of the difference in wiring systems and methods it is necessary for experience to be with land-based electrical systems.

Potential applicants should review the Board’s statutes and rules set forth on the Board website.

Pursuant to the same Statute and rule cited above, military spouses may obtain license by presenting evidence of licensure in other states and a sworn statement from a licensing authority with respect to the nature of the examination and experience.  Statements from direct supervisors detailing type and hours of experience may also be presented.

All veterans and spouses are invited to contact the board office for assistance.

Military Personnel-Spouses Application