All exam applicants should download and read through the Examination Information Handbook (above); this is HIGHLY encouraged. The Handbook contains a great deal of valuable information to help you prepare for and take your exam.
How to Apply
1 . READ THE EXAM INFORMATION HANDBOOK.
2. Choose which license classification you want to take the exam for. Visit the Licensing page for classification information.
3. Complete the Application for Examination packet (found in the Examination Information Handbook and on our Forms & Documents page).
4. Send us your completed application with the $125.00 examination fee and other documents as detailed in the application packet for your classification.
5. Check your email and mail for your approval letter. The approval will have all of the information needed to register for your exam online with PSI.
What to Study
NC Electrical Contractors Licensing Law: General Statutes 87-4 and Title 21, Chapter 18b
(found in Exam Information Handbook)
National Electrical Code (NEC): 2020 Edition (available at www.nfpa.org)
National Fire Alarm Code (NFPA 72): 2013 Edition (available at www.nfpa.org)
NASCLA Contractors Guide to Business, Law and Project Management: North Carolina Electrical Edition
(available at www.nascla.org)
How to Register/Schedule
You must apply for the exam and get approval from the Board before you can register for an exam.
Upon approval you will receive a Notice of Approval letter from the Board. Check both your email and mail for your approval letter.
Your Notice of Approval will list:
– Your exam ID number (necessary to register with PSI for your examination).
– Your authorization period to schedule and sit for your examination.
– You have 90 days from the date of approval to schedule AND take your exam.
Create an account and register online with PSI at https://test-takers.psiexams.com/ncbeec or call (855) 746-8173 to register. Refer to your Notice of Approval letter for the ID number required to register for your exam.
When registering, you will choose your own test date and PSI testing location where you’d like to take your exam. Visit www.PSI.com to find a PSI exam center near you.
What to Expect
All exams are computer based. You will receive your examination score the same day.
Bring 2 forms of ID to the Exam Center; 1 must be a VALID government issued with a photograph (valid drivers license).
Bring your books. Calculators and all other necessities will be provided at the site.
The exam is “open book”; you’re allowed to refer to any part of your NEC and the NFPA books during your exam.
A minimum grade of 70 is required to pass the exam.
You will receive your score immediately after finishing your exam at PSI.
Your exam score will be on file with the Board on the following business day.
Now you need to apply for a license! See the Licensing page for more.
If you fail the exam, you will not be eligible to take the same classication of exam again until 3-months after the date of the failed exam. Examinees must wait 90-days before they will be allowed to take the same examination again.
You can reapply to take an exam in an alternate classification immediately after an unsuccessful attempt only if you meet the experience requirements for the classification.
To reapply complete the Application for Examination again and resubmit to the Board with your exam fee.
The Exam Review fee is $25.00.
Examinees can review their failed examination one time. Reviews offer the examinee a chance to view their wrong answers and receive clarification/help with any questions. Exam reviews are held as group sessions monthly at the Board’s office. Review sessions are approximately 4-hours long.
To register for a review, complete the Exam Review form on our Forms and Documents page.
Limited, Intermediate & Unlimited Exams
- 100 multiple-choice questions
- 6-hours to complete exam
Fire Alarm/Low Voltage Exams
- 50 multiple-choice questions
- 3-hours to complete exam
Special Restricted Exams
Single Family Detached (SP-SFD), Plumbing Heating (SP-PH), Electric Sign (SP-ES), Elevator (SP-EL), Groundwater Pump (SP-WP)
- 40 multiple-choice questions
- 3-hours to complete exam
Swimming Pool Exams
- 25 multiple-choice questions
- 1-hour to complete exam
505 N. Greenfield Parkway, Suite 100, Garner, NC 27529