(NOTE: You will need your user ID and password to login to your license account. If you do not know your login information, contact our office staff at (919) 733-9042 or at office@ncbeec.org)


After successfully passing our examination, you’ll need to apply to obtain and activate an electrical contracting license.

1. Apply for and pass the required electrical contracting examination.

2. Complete a New License Application for the license classification desired.

3. Submit your License Application with the license fee for your applicable classification.

4. On your license application for the “Qualified Individual Information”, be sure to list your name, signature, DOB, and SSN as you are now a Qualfied Individual and will be the qualified person holding the electrical license.


All licenses issued by the Board will expire one (1) year after the date of issuance.

Renewal notices are automatically sent approximately 60-days prior to the license expiration date. If you have supplied an email address, you will be sent an email notice at 60-days.  If you have not supplied an email address, a paper renewal form will be mailed to the address on file.  If you have not received a renewal notice, you may contact our office at (919) 733-9042.

An administrative fee of $25.00 shall be imposed on all renewals received after the license expiration date.  

License Scope & Classification

There are 10 different classifications of electrical contracting licenses.  Each license will have a specific scope and/or limitation of work allowed.

Limited License - $100/year

The Limited (L) license allows the licensee to engage in a single electrical contracting project of a value not in excess of sixty thousand dollars ($60,000) and on which the equipment or installation in the contract is rated at not more than 600 volts.

Intermediate License - $150/year

The Intermediate (I) license allows the licensee to engage in a single electrical contracting project of a value not in excess of one hundred fifty thousand dollars ($150,000). 

Unlimited License - $200/year

The Unlimited (U) license allows the licensee to engage in any electrical contracting project regardless of value.

Special Restricted Licenses - $100/year

There are seven (7) Special Restricted classifications which allow only a limited phase of electrical contracting work. Click the blue abbreviation under each license type to view our Rules page (Title 21-18B) with more information on the classification scope. The complete scope for each of the special restricted classifications is listed in Section .0800 of the rules and regulations.

Residential Dwelling License

Fire Alarm/Low-Voltage License

Plumbing, Heating and Air Conditioning License


Swimming Pool License

Groundwater Pump License

Electric Sign License


Elevator License

License Name Requirements

Check your desired name using the Active Licensee Database. Contact Board staff if you would like to confirm any names.

Pursuant to .0402 (a), the name in which a license is issued must be distinguishable from the name in which a license has already been issued. If the name requested, after deleting all spaces, punctuation marks, articles, prepositions, conjunctions and, whether abbreviated or not, “corporation,” “incorporated,” “company,” or “limited,” is not identical to the name in which a license has already been issued, it shall be distinguishable. The substitution of a numeral for a word that represents the same numeral shall not make the name distinguishable.

NAME CHANGE Requirements

If you wish to change the name on your license, you must file a License Reissuance/Name Change Application. Changing the company name on the license requires a reissuance of the license; this means your expiration date and renewal date will change. If you incorporate your business, you must submit a copy of your articles of incorporation, articles of organization (LLC), or certificate of authority (Out-of-State Corporations) showing you are registered with the North Carolina Department of the Secretary of State.  A new certificate will be issued reflecting the requested changes.


Contact / address changes

The Board should be informed of ANY address changes and/or contact information updates. Notification of any change should be filed with the Board within 30-days. You can update any address/contact information online by accessing your license profile using the Renew/Update License Login page. Changes may also be made by completing a Contact Update Form which can be mailed, faxed or emailed to the Board.

Duplicate / Replacement License

Your current license certificate should be displayed in your place of business. If you have lost or misplaced your license certificate or if you would like a duplicate copy of your license certificate, complete and submit the Duplicate License Request Form. Duplicate copies of your license certificate cost $15.00 each.

DECORATIVE License Certificate

Permanent decorative license certificates may be ordered. These certificates are 8.5″ x 11″ and printed on decorative certificate paper. If you would like to order a decorative license certificate, please complete and submit the Decorative Certificate Order Form. Permanent decorative certificates cost $15.00 each.

Qualified Individual Patch

Qualified Individual Patches are also available. These circular patches are approximately 3.5″ in diameter and are stitched on an iron-on background making them easy to add to shirts, hats, bags, etc. If you would like to order a Qualified Individual Patch please complete and submit the Qualified Individual Patch Order Form. Qualified patches are $6.00 each.


A statement of bonding ability is required to activate a license in both the Intermediate and Unlimited classifications.  Bonding Ability forms are available for download below or on the Forms & Documents page.



To add or remove a qualified individual to your license, you must complete and submit a Request to Add/Remove a Qualified Individual form. A new certificate will be mailed to you reflecting the requested changes.

Chance Souriyavong
Administrative Assistant
Phone: (919) 733-9042 ext. 206
Fax: (800) 691-8399

Tonya Lynch
Administrative Assistant
Phone: (919) 733-9042 ext. 209
Fax: (800) 691-8399